Thursday, October 18, 2012

Updated Release of "Effective C++ in an Embedded Environment"

In April 2010, I made the presentation materials for two of my training courses available for purchase. Purchasers get free updates for life. The first set of materials, An Overview of the New C++ (C++11), has since seen five update releases, and a sixth will occur sometime later this year. The other course, Effective C++ in an Embedded Environment, has not been revised. Until now. A new version has just been published, and if you have purchased these materials, you should have already been notified about how to download the new version.  If you have not (e.g., because you asked Artima, the publisher of these materials, not to send you email), Artima asks me to remind you that
You can log into Artima with the account you used to purchase the book, click on "Your Settings", and redownload anytime. If you've forgotten your password, you can get a reminder here.
It would be a mistake to interpret the greater frequency of updates for the C++11 materials as meaning that I pay less attention to the materials on using C++ in embedded systems.  I don't.   The simple fact is that C++11 was in a state of flux up until final standardization, and since then compilers have been adding increasing feature support, plus I've been learning more about the features in C++11 and how to use them.  There's been a lot happening in the C++11 world, and I've been working hard to keep my training materials current (while at the same time not bombarding you with updates).

The world of C++ in embedded systems has been stabler, and so have my materials devoted to that topic.  Even so, the changelog for the materials (available with your update) lists some five dozen changes affecting around 80 pages—about 25% of the total slides.  None of the revisions are earth-shattering, but a lot of little things have been fixed or clarified or otherwise improved. I have a strong incentive to keep these materials in as good a shape as I can: they're the ones I use myself.

I hope you enjoy the latest versions of my training materials on the use of C++ in embedded systems.  As always, you can download a free sample of the materials (the first 30 pages) from the materials' sales page.

Scott

No comments: